Mexican Black Bean & Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
These Mexican Black Bean & Quinoa Stuffed Peppers are a family favorite in our household. They're not only packed with flavor but also provide a nutritious meal that's perfect for any day of the week. The combination of quinoa and black beans creates a satisfying and protein-rich filling, while the colorful bell peppers add a touch of sweetness and crunch.
I first tried this recipe at a friend's potluck dinner, and it was an instant hit. Everyone loved the unique twist on traditional stuffed peppers, and I knew I had to recreate it at home. Since then, it has become a go-to meal for busy weeknights and special occasions alike.
Feel free to get creative with the ingredients and spices to suit your taste preferences. You can also make this dish vegan by omitting the cheese or using a dairy-free alternative.
- 6 large bell peppers, assorted colors
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Cut off the tops of the bell peppers and remove seeds and membranes. Place the peppers upright in a baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked and fluffy.
- While quinoa cooks, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add black beans, diced tomatoes, corn, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Stir cooked quinoa into the black bean mixture until well combined.
- Spoon the quinoa and black bean mixture into each bell pepper, filling them generously. Top each pepper with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until peppers are tender and cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh cilantro.