Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto
This Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto is a family favorite that I've been making for years. It's the perfect dish to serve during the fall season when butternut squash is at its peak. The combination of roasted squash, creamy Arborio rice, and savory Parmesan cheese creates a comforting and satisfying meal.
I first discovered this recipe while searching for a unique way to use butternut squash from my garden. After trying it out, I was instantly hooked and have been making it ever since. It's always a hit with friends and family, and I often get requests for the recipe.
One of the things I love about this dish is its versatility. You can easily adapt it to suit your taste preferences or dietary needs by adding different herbs, spices, or even substituting the cheese. It's also a great way to introduce kids to new flavors and textures, as the sweetness of the squash pairs well with the creaminess of the risotto.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Toss the butternut squash cubes with olive oil, salt, and pepper on a baking sheet. Roast in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until tender and lightly browned. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, warm the vegetable broth over low heat.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the Arborio rice and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the white wine and cook until absorbed, stirring frequently.
- Gradually add the warmed vegetable broth, one cup at a time, stirring constantly and allowing each addition to be absorbed before adding the next.
- Continue cooking and stirring until the rice is tender and creamy, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the roasted butternut squash, Parmesan cheese, and chopped sage. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve immediately, garnished with extra Parmesan cheese and sage, if desired.