Savory Shrimp and Grits
Time 40 minutes
Servings 4 People
Savory Shrimp and Grits is a beloved dish that has its roots in the Southern United States. It's a comforting meal that brings people together, perfect for family gatherings or cozy dinners.
This recipe has been passed down through generations, with each cook adding their own personal touch. The combination of creamy grits and tender shrimp creates a satisfying and flavorful experience that will leave you craving more.
Don't be intimidated by the seemingly complex flavors; this dish is surprisingly easy to prepare. With just a few simple steps, you'll have a mouthwatering meal that's sure to impress your guests.
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a medium saucepan, bring water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil. Slowly whisk in grits, reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened.
- Remove grits from heat, stir in butter and cheddar cheese until melted and smooth. Cover and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon from skillet and set aside on paper towels to drain.
- In the same skillet, add onion and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add shrimp to the skillet and cook until pink, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove shrimp from skillet and set aside.
- Pour chicken broth into the skillet, scraping up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 3-4 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Return shrimp and bacon to the skillet, stirring to coat with sauce. Cook for an additional 2 minutes to heat through.
- Serve shrimp and sauce over prepared grits, garnishing with chopped parsley.