Hearty Tuscan Kale Soup
This Hearty Tuscan Kale Soup is inspired by the traditional Italian 'Ribollita,' a rustic soup that warms the soul. Made with simple, wholesome ingredients, it's a perfect dish to enjoy on a chilly evening. The combination of kale, beans, and vegetables creates a hearty and satisfying meal that will leave you feeling nourished and content.
The origins of this soup can be traced back to Tuscany, where it was often made using leftover bread and vegetables. It has since evolved into a beloved classic, enjoyed by many around the world. This recipe pays homage to its roots while adding a modern twist, making it an ideal choice for both traditionalists and adventurous cooks alike.
One of the best things about this soup is its versatility. Feel free to experiment with different types of beans or vegetables to suit your taste preferences. You can also adjust the thickness by adding more or less broth, depending on how you like it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, stemmed and chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme, rosemary, and red pepper flakes, and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, and add the cannellini beans, diced tomatoes, and bay leaf. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped kale, and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes, or until the kale is tender.
- Remove the bay leaf, and season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, garnished with grated Parmesan cheese.