Spicy Tandoori Chicken
Tandoori Chicken is a popular Indian dish known for its vibrant color, smoky flavor, and spicy kick. It gets its name from the traditional clay oven called a 'tandoor' in which it is cooked. This recipe brings the authentic taste of Tandoori Chicken to your kitchen without the need for a tandoor.
The secret to perfect Tandoori Chicken lies in its marinade, which combines yogurt, spices, and lemon juice to tenderize the meat and infuse it with flavor. Marinating the chicken for at least 2 hours ensures that the flavors penetrate deep into the meat, making every bite a burst of deliciousness.
Serve this Spicy Tandoori Chicken with naan or rice, and a side of cooling cucumber raita to balance the heat. It's perfect for a weekend dinner or a special occasion with family and friends.
- 1 whole chicken (about 3-4 lbs), cut into pieces
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, vegetable oil, ginger paste, garlic paste, garam masala, ground cumin, ground coriander, paprika, turmeric, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well to form a smooth marinade.
- Add the chicken pieces to the marinade, ensuring each piece is well coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight for best results.
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, allowing any excess to drip off. Arrange the chicken pieces on the wire rack, skin-side up.
- Bake the chicken in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C) and the juices run clear. If desired, broil the chicken for an additional 2-3 minutes to achieve a slightly charred appearance.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with naan or rice and cucumber raita.