Classic Fish and Chips
Fish and chips is a classic British dish that has been enjoyed for generations. It's believed to have originated in the mid-19th century when trawl fishing became more widespread, making fish more accessible to the general public. The combination of fried fish and potatoes quickly gained popularity, and by the early 20th century, fish and chip shops were a common sight across the UK.
This dish holds a special place in many people's hearts, as it evokes memories of family gatherings, trips to the seaside, or simply enjoying a comforting meal on a rainy day. The secret to perfect fish and chips lies in the crispy batter and well-seasoned, golden fries.
Our Classic Fish and Chips recipe brings you the authentic taste of this beloved British staple, allowing you to recreate the experience at home. Gather your friends and family, and enjoy a delicious meal together!
- 4 white fish fillets (such as cod or haddock)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold club soda
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 4 large russet potatoes
- Salt and malt vinegar for seasoning
- Peel and cut the potatoes into 1/2-inch thick fries. Soak them in cold water for 15 minutes, then drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat about 3 inches of vegetable oil in a deep fryer or heavy pot to 325°F (163°C). Fry the potatoes in batches for 5-7 minutes until they are softened but not browned. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add the cold club soda, whisking until a smooth batter forms.
- Increase the oil temperature to 375°F (190°C). Dip each fish fillet into the batter, ensuring it is fully coated.
- Carefully lower the battered fish into the hot oil and fry for 5-7 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Fry the par-cooked fries again at 375°F (190°C) for 3-4 minutes, or until golden and crispy. Drain on paper towels and season with salt.
- Serve the fish and chips immediately, accompanied by malt vinegar for drizzling.