Sassy Sushi Rolls
Time 1 hour
Servings 4 People
Sassy Sushi Rolls are a fun twist on traditional sushi rolls, perfect for impressing guests or enjoying a night in. I first encountered these delightful rolls at a friend's dinner party, and they were an instant hit. The combination of flavors and textures is simply irresistible.
The secret to their sassiness lies in the unique blend of ingredients that give them a bold and exciting taste. They're not only delicious but also visually appealing, making them a great conversation starter.
Making sushi at home can be intimidating, but with this easy-to-follow recipe, you'll be rolling like a pro in no time. Gather your ingredients, roll up your sleeves, and let's get started!
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 nori sheets
- 1/2 lb sushi-grade salmon
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, julienned
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup spicy mayo
- 1/4 cup eel sauce
- 1/4 cup black sesame seeds
- Rinse the sushi rice under cold water until the water runs clear. Combine rice and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Heat over low heat until sugar dissolves. Fold the vinegar mixture into the cooked rice and let it cool to room temperature.
- Place a sheet of nori on a bamboo sushi mat. Spread a thin layer of sushi rice evenly over the nori, leaving a 1-inch border at the top edge. Sprinkle black sesame seeds over the rice.
- Arrange a row of salmon, avocado, cucumber, and cream cheese along the bottom edge of the rice. Drizzle spicy mayo and eel sauce over the fillings.
- Using the bamboo mat, roll the sushi tightly away from you, applying gentle pressure to keep the roll compact. Once rolled, use a sharp knife to slice the roll into 8 equal pieces.